Norton Simon Museum of Art at Pasadena
Like most of the museums in southern California, they have been established from a passion and appreciation of art. With a desire to share a wider collection of artworks, the Norton Museum closed its doors on June 24, 1974 for renovation, after combining the Pasadena Art Museum and Norton Simon collections. It reopened on March 1, 1975 and in October of that year, the name of the institution changed to the Norton Simon Museum of Art at Pasadena.
Since that time the museum has hosted artworks of Old Masters and Modern works. The Norton Museum takes great pride in scheduling exhibits for viewing that are of interest to all ages of its visitors.
Future exhibits will feature
- Surface Truths: Abstract Painting in the Sixties by another American artist, Thomas Downing, 1928–1985. Viewing is scheduled from March 25, 2011 - August 15, 2011
- Where Art Meets Science: Ancient Sculpture from the Hindu-Buddhist World. A focused of primarily Cambodian sculpture from the Norton Simon foundations’ permanent collections. Viewing is scheduled from April 22, 2011 - August 01, 2011
- Held on selected Saturday afternoons throughout the year, Family Day events are led by staff educators and include exciting kids' tours and art-making workshops. These weekends are designed to engage families and children’s interest through art festival activities.
- In the afternoon the staff educators provide books and art projects as a method to introduce children to the world of art. Children book authors and illustrators share their stories and artwork with interactive presentation in the museum’s theater.
- During the summer themed tours and art workshops are scheduled for children and their accompanying adult.
Norton Simon passed away in 1993, he was an entrepreneur, industrialist and philanthropist who believed that art was a form of communication that not only inspired but reflected the past, present and future of civilization. His business accomplishments resulted in the accumulation of Hunt-Wesson Foods, McCall’s Publishing, Saturday Review of Literature, Canada Dry Corporation, Max Factor cosmetics, and Avis Car Rental.
- 411 W. Colorado Blvd., Pasadena, CA 91105, Phone: 626.449.6840
- Mon, Wed, Thurs - 12:00 noon - 6:00 p.m.
- Tues Closed
- Fri - 12:00 - 9:00 p.m.
- Sat, Sun -12:00 - 6:00 p.m.
- Adults $10.00
- Seniors (ages 62 and above) $5.00
- Patrons aged 18 and under Free
- Students with valid I.D.
- Admission is free for all visitors the first Friday of every month from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m.
Source: Norton Museum in Pasadena California