Great, Cheap Places to Eat (and Drink) in Golden, CO
Golden is attractive for many reasons, but some of the local fare can get pretty expensive. Here are a few places you can go to get some cheap eats, while enjoying all that Golden has to offer.
- Shorty Lu's Diner: This is a little known diner down South Golden Road with great staff and a small dining room. Join the hung over college students or the after church families for a $4 full breakfast.
- Higher Grounds Coffee: Right across from the Table Mountain Inn; a student favorite, inexpensive and delicious drinks, pastries and fruit, free wifi, local artwork on display and for sale, its a great place to start or end your visit to Golden.
- D'Deli: Right in the middle of main street Washington. The best sandwiches in Golden, great people, good price. Get a 12' sub, chips and a drink for just about 6 bucks.
- Woody's: Lunchtime deal; two slices of pizza and a domestic draft beer for just $5. Can't beat Woody's pizza or their atmosphere.
- Woody's: Of course, a student favorite. All you can eat pizza, salad, soup for $10. You'll stay all night, enough said.
- Mannie and Bo's: Another pizza place, less popular, down S. Golden. Cheap pizza and Italian foods, cheap drinks and great service.
- Sherpa House: For a change of pace, a Nepalese restaurant with great great food, a cool location, and surprising prices. You won't want to miss this one.
- Coor's: The brewery, can't miss it. If you have done the tour before, tell them you want to take the short tour, they will show you straight to the lounge. 3 free 8 oz. beers every day(except Monday and Tuesday). Start here.
- Blue Canyon: Skirt night is Wednesday. $5 gets you in the door and all you can drink. Thats right, all you can drink. Tip the bartenders.
- Ace Hi: Their happy hour includes $0.75 PBR, and dollar pitchers of some other cheap beer.
- Golden Bowl: Yes, bowling and beer. Cheap pitchers, cheap bowling.
If you visit Golden be sure to hit up these places and more. If you are looking for something a little more spendy, go to Golden City Brewery, its unforgettable.
For a perfect day, start a little before lunchtime, go to Coor's and if you've never done the full tour, do it, its really cool. Walk from Coor's to D'Deli, get a sandwich and walk it over to Golden City Brewery on 12th street. Have a few drinks and enjoy lunch in the sun. Walk down Clear Creek or wander down the shops on Washington. Try a hike(not South Table if you're inebriated, or from sea level), drive up Lookout Mountain, do something outdoors. When you're hungry again, choose between burgers or pizza. Regardless, go to Woody's, they have both. Spend the evening there or move on to Ace-Hi(locals and students), Blue Canyon(yuppies?), the Rose(bikers and older) or the Columbine(sketchballs). Take a cab home.